We all get a little writer’s block when faced with a stick of chalk and a blank pavement. Our general advice is to keep things motivational and factual.
- Did you know? Humans are the only species to drink the milk of another animal, and the only species to drink milk past infancy.
- Did you know? Because they can’t lay eggs, male chicks are killed within one day of hatching.
- Did you know? In order to produce milk, cows are artificially impregnated. Their calves are stolen from them after birth so humans can drink their milk.
- Did you know? A cow’s natural lifespan is 20 years old. In the dairy industry, they are killed at just 4-6 years old.
- Did you know? Animal agriculture is one of the main producers of greenhouse gas emissions, more than all transport put together.
- Did you know? The dairy industry kills male calves. How would you feel if that was your child?
- Watch ‘Cowspiracy’ on Netflix.
- Watch ‘What The Health’ on Netflix.
- Watch ‘Earthlings’ on YouTube.
- Animals are here with us, not for us.
- Respect all life. Choose vegan!
- “Processed meat causes cancer” – World Health Organisation.
- Fishless oceans by 2048 – go vegan!
- If it has a face, it’s not food.
- Why do you love dogs but eat pigs?
- Go vegan: for the animals, for the planet, for your health.
- Be one less person harming animals – go vegan!
- Animal agriculture is the leading cause of species, extinction, habitat destruction and ocean dead zones.
- Animals get protein, calcium and iron from plants. You can too.
- Choose compassion. Respect life. Live vegan.
- It takes 2,400 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of beef, but only 25 gallons of water to produce 1 pound of wheat.
- Not your mum, not your milk!
- Cow’s milk is for baby cows!
- List of plant milks: oat, almond, soya, rice, cashew, hazelnut, hemp, coconut.
- Why love one and eat the other?
- Make your body a temple, not a tomb – go vegan!
- Have you seen ‘Dairy Is Scary’ on YouTube?
- Be kind to every kind. Be vegan.
- Love animals? Don’t eat them. Go vegan.
- Save the planet. Be vegan.
- There is a great awakening happening. It’s called “Veganism.”
- Live well, but let others live as well. Be vegan.
- There is no such thing as “humane meat”, ask any animal.
- If you believe it’s wrong to hurt animals, you already believe in veganism.
- Human life is not greater than animal life.
- Killing is never humane. Killing is never gentle. Killing is never kind. Choose compassion. Please choose vegan.
Another good list can be found on the Vegan Chalk Challenge website, and more ideas can be found on Instagram by searching for #veganchalk or #veganchalkchallenge.
What not to chalk
In short, please don’t chalk anything that might be seen as offensive, rude, or distasteful. Doing so discredits our work and damages the movement.
Please refer to our approach and values for more information on what we deem acceptable and unacceptable.
One more word of caution: please try to not leave any chalk lying about during the event as there have been instances where others, who were not associated with Sheffield Animal Action, have taken our chalk and started writing messages that are counter to our aims.